Thursday, October 28, 2010

Here and now: remember

You know these dead moments when nothing seems to happen? When you're waiting but can't do anything because you do not know how long the wait will be? Then you maybe start fretting and fuming wishing it was over, wishing you'd already be in the next phase/day/room/level...

A friend of mine has a beautiful habit of posing the glass on the table for a few seconds after toasting to say, "I remember you, here, now!" That way not even a simple toast passes unnoticed, un-celebrated... and what is important is not the yet-not-here-thing but the here and now.

I'm doing that now, waiting for the truck to come and carry the tangible evidence my life in Italy away... not with a glass of wine in my hand, but just sitting here in the midst of boxes, in a half empty kitchen, not just looking back but looking at the here and now and saying, "This moment I want to cherish and remember".

Io ti ricordo qua adesso!

No comments:

Post a Comment