Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Many realities

I recently visited a place which seems to defy the quest to understand what is going on. The complexities of positions, the lack of shared narratives means that what really is going on is almost beyond capturing.
For a researcher that is very frustrating. But for a human being it brings me right back to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's quote:
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret;
it is only with the heart that one can see rightly,
what is essential is invisible to the eye.

What I saw was often invisible to the eye, but it was shouting louder than any words ever could when listened to with one's heart: I saw mistrust, hope, readiness to try again, sadness and grief, perseverance and courage.
Of course I was as much the observer as the one being observed, and therefore also found myself to be the object of prejudice - a sobering experience!
I hope these lessons will stay with me the next days when I'm faced with more personal aspects of how realities are constructed... beauty and ugliness so often are found in the eye of the beholder!



No comments:

Post a Comment